Spirituality Course

This blog is about the various courses on Spirituality offered through the ULC Seminary. The students offer responses to their various lessons and essays upon completion of the courses.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Spirituality Course

Dr. of Spirituality: Denise L. Graves
Lesson 5 Response
1.        How do I agree and/or disagree with the Course’s definition of the Holy Spirit?
According to the Course, The Holy Spirit is God’s perfect, eternal love, inspiration, peace, and life, dwelling within us and consoling and comforting us always.
I agree with the Course’s definition of  the Holy Spirit however, rarely have I compartmentalized the role of the each member of the Trinity to the degree I am able to know the composite of the God –“head.”  The roles of Jesus and the Holy Spirit have often been articulated as one in the same.  The major difference was that Jesus saves and brings to the father while the Holy Spirit inspires.  In some ways, this definition implies that Jesus brings and the Holy Spirit is.  For example, Jesus brings peace, the Holy Spirit is peace.  The idea that the Holy Spirit is the thought of God provides an expansive infinite capability of the Holy Spirit.  It is not contained in the limitation of the familial structure of “sonship.”  The Holy Spirit provides comfort to me in any familial role I can accept it.  It, the Holy Spirit, is the knowing of God and was present at my creation, fully equipped to keep me connected to my source. 
2.       My personal example of how I believe the Holy Spirit has functioned in my life
The Holy Spirit as the thought of God, provided me with answers to life questions only known by God.  As a child, my mother used to ask me what did I see or know about a thing.  When I was near death and it appeared I was going to surely transition, I left my family and began to talk with a man, I now will call Jesus.  My family was praying at my bedside.  When I awakened, my mother said “tell me what you saw.”  I described the man and shared our discussion and left  that conversation with an assurance that I would never be alone and would always know what to do when the time came.  In that situation I experienced the healer, teacher, mediator, advocate and comforter.  I recall asking, what will happen to my mother if I leave now. Almost immediately the hole in my heart closed up, I became warm and felt this heat from a light all over my body. This lesson has inspired me to reconnect with amazing provision of the Holy Spirit as I discern “ what will you have me to do, where would you have me go, what you would have me say and to whom? I turn to you Holy Spirit.”



**********************
Ordination with the Universal Life Church, is free,  and lasts for life, so use the Free Online Ordination, button.
The  ULC, run by Rev. Long, has created a chaplaincy program to help train our ministers and lots of free online sermons for your use. We also have a huge catalog of Universal Life Church materials.  I've been ordained with the Universal Life Church for many years and it's Seminary since the beginning and have loved watching the continual growth of the seminary.
Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment