Spirituality Course

This blog is about the various courses on Spirituality offered through the ULC Seminary. The students offer responses to their various lessons and essays upon completion of the courses.

Monday, February 7, 2011

Spirituality Course

Please find my response to Lesson 4: 
Dr. of Spirituality: Denise L. Graves

1. True forgiveness

The course says true forgiveness:
a. is done for us by the mercy of God and through us by the power of the Holy Spirit
b. changes us
c. is self-forgiveness
d. recognizes that the "sin/wrong/error" did not occur to the eternal spirit me.

This recognition of true forgiveness was work for me.  It required me to take a look at my current targets of forgiveness and net out what "wrongs/assaults/sins" I experience at their hands/presence.  In each case, I was invited to consider that these things also exist in me.  I was challenged to own my incorrect behaviors, explore them, their source and accept the truth the Holy Spirit had their replacements.  I was also annoyed that I was not the "great right" in these experiences.  And there was no nobility in lifting up their "wrongness" in the hopes that someone would see me as the greater good in these experiences.  I am humbled by this lesson.  I am stronger.

I accept that historically, I have forgiven to destroy.  I believed that I was wronged and the wronging person was guilty and inferior to me, I the bigger person had the power to forgive.  I have not always believed that I was just like my assailant and forgave in the hopes that one day someone would forgive me.  For example, my body was battered by someone who said they loved me.  I forgave because; I no longer wanted to allow this memory to dominate by existence.  I was not and have not been a physical batter.  However, forgiving was my way of releasing the person to their highest and greatest good.  I choose to no longer tell the narrative.  It is no longer my reality.  However, concerning this same experience, I did suffer in silence, hoping that those who knew would see me strong and resilient.  I did say to others and the batterer that I forgave and tried to say nothing more. But my life was shaped by the harrowing reality that there is no honor or vitality in being a martyr.

The Christ Vision has been most revealing.  The idea that I am in this body but not my body certainly has saved my life in the midst of racism, patriarchy and other forms of objectification.  The revelation that Christ sees no guilt and is constantly restoring my awareness of the truth of who and what I really am is profound.  I am curious, however, regarding how God acts through us to be peace.

2. Prayers

The Course
Please help me to be at peace. Help me to see that the problem that I face is in me not in the situation or the person.  It is my perception that has caused my loss of peace. Please heal my perception.

My Prayer:
Dear God, You are all here is.  You are everywhere. You know all there is to know.  You see things in the collapse of time. Heal me now. As your light on earth in this body, time and place, reveal to me my peace.  Open my eyes to see what you see, now.  I surrender to your Christ Vision in this person/situation. Let me accept your insights, words, wisdom and understanding regarding this encounter.  I accept the revelation, the good and the opportunity to demonstrate healing. Thank you.

Peace, Denise



**********************
Ordination with the Universal Life Church, is free,  and lasts for life, so use the Free Online Ordination, button. 
The  ULC, run by Rev. Long, has created a chaplaincy program to help train our ministers and lots of free online sermons for your use. We also have a huge catalog of Universal Life Church materials.  I've been ordained with the Universal Life Church for many years and it's Seminary since the beginning and have loved watching the continual growth of the seminary.
 
Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment