Spirituality Course

This blog is about the various courses on Spirituality offered through the ULC Seminary. The students offer responses to their various lessons and essays upon completion of the courses.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Spiritualism Lesson 4 - History of Western Thought, Part 3

Subject- Spiritualism Lesson 4, History of Western Thought, Part 3

This week's lesson dealt with the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle and the concept of Suffering. Heisenberg was a scientist who discovered that humans cannot predict the form matter will take when it comes into existence and inherent uncertainty exists in all things. Humans cannot predict the outcomes of events or the actions of other humans with 100% accuracy. However, humans can determine probability to a certain degree- that is they can predict numerous likely outcomes of events or numerous actions a person may take in a given situation .Suffering can occur when One has chosen a Path or action that results in One experiencing unpleasant sensations. This week's lesson invited us to embrace our own suffering and pain so that we could better understand suffering and pain in others. This past week in the hospital where I practice I was presented with a unique opportunity to observe pain and suffering. I was offered the opportunity to share and experience the pain and suffering my colleagues had experienced. Evidently, earlier in the week, a player participating in a college basketball playoff game was severely injured during the game. The occurrence of the injury was videotaped and was of course almost instantly available on the net. One of my colleagues offered to show everyone the video from her Smartphone. I observed several of my colleagues viewing the video. They stared at the video of the player being injured then gasped and turned their heads away. I observed my colleagues experiencing pain and suffering. Experiencing unpleasant sensations is the definition of suffering according to the American Heritage College Dictionary. I was invited to view the video many times and I chose to decline the invitations. I had no desire to experience the unpleasant sensations of pain and horror my colleagues had experienced. One of my colleagues remarked after she had viewed the video"It hurts me just to watch such a thing happen". After my shift at the hospital ended and I went home I pondered and meditated on the concepts of Suffering and Uncertainty. I meditated on what my role as a minister is when I am confronted with Pain and suffering in myself as well as others. As a Buddhist I know the Four Noble Truths and I know the best way for me to end suffering is by daily practice of Zen Meditation. During my mediations on the concept of suffering I became enlightened and aware of some Guidelines regarding Suffering:

1.     Acknowledge the Concept that pain and suffering  can exist in your individual Soul

2.     Accept the Concept that One can obtain the Wisdom to neutralize, alleviate and eliminate pain and suffering that exists in One's soul

3.     Acknowledge the Concept that pain and suffering can exist in the Souls of other beings

4.     Accept the Concept that One can provide guidelines for another Being to neutralize, alleviate and eliminate the pain and suffering that exists in their own Souls

5.      Acknowledge the concept that as an individual, One can choose to neutralize, alleviate and eliminate pain and suffering that exists in One's Soul

6.     Accept the concept that One can choose Not to neutralize , alleviate or eliminate the pain and suffering that exists in One's Soul

7.     Acknowledge the concept that One can perceive pain and suffering in another Soul

8.     Accept the Concept that choosing or not choosing to experience suffering and pain is a personal choice that is determined by the individual

 

Experiencing unpleasant sensations i.e. Suffering is the condition by which experiencing pleasant sensations is made possible. If One has not experienced Fear how can One know the feeling of Courage. If One has not experienced Sorrow how can One know the feeling of Joy. If one has not experienced Tribulation how can One know the feeling of Triumph. If one has not experienced being unloved and unvalued how can One know the feelings of being Loved and Cherished. J

 

Respectfully submitted by

Rev. Susan K. Bowers

No comments:

Post a Comment