Spirituality Course

This blog is about the various courses on Spirituality offered through the ULC Seminary. The students offer responses to their various lessons and essays upon completion of the courses.

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Lesson 16 ~ Spiritual Leadership ~ Unit 4 ~ Dancing the Circle Part 1&2 ~ Essay

Lesson 16 ~ Spiritual Leadership ~ Unit 4 ~ Dancing the Circle Part 2 ~ Essay

By: Rev. Trent Murman

My opinion only:  In most hierarchy situations the "hierarchy" tends to suck (pardon my French).  I think boldly most of them have lost contact with the "common man".  The common man is a very important cog in the wheel of this hierarchy.  I worked with a huge corporation for about ten (10) years. I started from the ground level and clawed my way up the "ladder" to a corporate position of what they called "authority".  It was difficult moving up the ladder, at times you leave very good and personal friends behind.  But, remembering we cannot all be chiefs, society needs those people that want to be or cannot advance because of conditions beyond their control, we need the Indians, but we cannot forget how important these Indians are.  Many times they are the backbone of the corporation's hierarchy system.  I tried never to forget where I started with this corporation and I made it a point to always say hello to everyone I passed in the hallway, parking lot or during everyday functions.  I tried to be very sincere when I asked "how are you doing", not just the words and keep walking, but actually waiting for an answer, showing genuine concern and if they appeared like they wanted to talk or express more than just a hello back, I took the time to chat with them, show genuine interest and get to know them by their name, just not another "employee".  Many of my piers would often comment as to why I was still associating with these employees and I would simply say to them:  if it weren't for these faithful employees we wouldn't be here in this position at this corporation and they need to know that the "open door policy" is just not a catch phrase, but does have true meaning.  You'd be surprised how many employees "indians" would eventually sport a smile on their faces every time they saw me in the future.  Yes it is a good feeling to touch someone in this way.  I feel these ladders of fire need to be broken down.  The hierarchy can still have their system or chain of command, but the base employees need to know they can be approached and they do have great meaning within the corporate structure.  I have very strong feelings for both the opposite and same sex viewing.  To me there is nothing like the soft fragile touch of a woman's hand, caress or friendship.  It can be very simplistic yet at the same time very complicated, many would say complicated is a good thing, but then again that's another story altogether.  Likewise, even the most powerful females can be most nurturing.  I used to be very cautious of other men who would attempt to become friends, always thinking what was their agenda or what did they want from me?  I believe even men can have their "soft" side.  I don't' use the word "feminine" side, because society had labeled that a very condescending characteristic.  Yes, even those macho guys out there do have their "soft side", especially within they intimacy act, but forbid they show this in public or in their circle of friends, that would be a social faux pas.  At this stage in my life I have come to acceptance of all peoples, for we are all children of the Holy Father.  I have a special place in my heart for those struggling with transgender feelings.  This can be very rough especially for pre-adolescent and teens who harbor these feelings.  They need to know there are family members they can seek out to confide in.  I believe, this is not a "curse" or "go to hell" situation, they cannot help or have the conviction to deal with this, being still in the formative years they need to have a listening ear and many times that's where we come into play.  Remember, one of the first things we are taught in our ministry's is to LISTEN, DON'T JUDGE and give support.   I am not exactly sure what it feels like to be transgender, not having that personal situation, but it is necessary for us to help and/or guide where ever we can. 

In the situation of portraying Jesus:  I feel in this situation I would have been a bit taken back by the ruckus from the crowd when these four men pushed through them heading towards the roof.  However, I would have been quite relieved to know the compassion these four men felt for the cripple sitting in his own feces, feeling they must have had to put their own desires aside and help this man become healed.  That must have been an awesome feeling Jesus had. 

In the situation of being the paralyzed man:  Remembering how many people simply walked on by me every day, some snickering because of my situation, some making rude comments and some of the children even throwing things at me thinking it was amusing to them and their piers.  And then these four men, unknown to me, took their time to help me see the Lord and receive his healing mystic.

In the situation of witnessing the event:  I think I would have been in awe, first not quite understanding what the intentions of these four were, were they playing a bad trick on the crippled man, were they actually trying to get Jesus' attention or were they testing Jesus' power to heal? 

In the situation of being in the group that lowered the man through the roof:  I think I would be concerned with the safety of the man being lowered.  Then I would be full of admiration for these men, to put their own agenda's aside for coming to see Jesus and help this crippled man to make sure he got to experience the Holy works of Jesus.  Then on the lighter side was this man's feces and urine going to spill from the carpet down onto us in the crowd? 

 

GO IN PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment