Spirituality Course

This blog is about the various courses on Spirituality offered through the ULC Seminary. The students offer responses to their various lessons and essays upon completion of the courses.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Course In Miracles

Dr. of Spirituality
Lesson 9 response
Denise L. Graves

1.        Mind over matter versus matter over mind conversation my understanding of how the ego has the power over the mind.
People in this conversation said that “matter and mind” are symbiotic.  One cannot happen without the other.  For this group there was no need for further discussion.  The idea that the physical must exist for the mind to have something to respond to and the mind must exist for the body/physical to act in and react to.  People spent considerable time restating the phrases over and over again.  Eventually, each consulted the dictionary to agree upon a common definition for each word. I heard in this group that conscious thought informed by truth always yields the mind desired results for every person.  Each participant agreed that our truth content is what is in question.
I surrender to the mystery of God and depend upon the Holy Spirit to do what it does.  As a person of faith I remember the vision God has for its’ creation.  That vision is for only good.  I accept that I do not know my good in the collapse of time, but I do know God, the Holy Spirit and my elder brother, Jesus.
2.       Explain how giving reinforces what is given.
The currency of miracles is an exchange of love that actually reverses the laws of this world.  This exchange says to give the world what you have and the world will give it back to you more times over. This reminds me of the parable regarding the talents in the Bible. Three people were given something to use.   Two people invested those talents and had a great return. They gave what gifts they had. 
The course states that giving love reinforces and multiplies.  I just celebrated my birthday in New Orleans this year.  I came here to serve as an organizer around health care ethics and environmental justice.  I spend long hours listening to stories and strategizing with grassroots leaders and clergy.  They have the practice of pinning money on a person for their birthday. Everywhere I went people who were complete “strangers” pinned ones, fives and tens and some twenties on my shirt.  Their many expressions of love were overflowing. This lesson brought to mind the ways I have shared resources with others.  On this day, I received far more than I believe I have ever given.  As a medium for miracles, I have been reminded that these miracle impulses are opportunities to give love.  As men gave to me, I looked to them with eyes and words of gratitude knowing that there was no need to offer sex or any other pleasure than the love of God.
I have learned in prayer to focus on love and forgiveness to clear up a way for miracle impulses to come through me.


**********************
Ordination with the Universal Life Church, is free,  and lasts for life, so use the Free Online Ordination, button.
The  ULC, run by Rev. Long, has created a chaplaincy program to help train our ministers and lots of free online sermons for your use. We also have a huge catalog of Universal Life Church materials.  I've been ordained with the Universal Life Church for many years and it's Seminary since the beginning and have loved watching the continual growth of the seminary.
Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment