Spirituality Course

This blog is about the various courses on Spirituality offered through the ULC Seminary. The students offer responses to their various lessons and essays upon completion of the courses.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Lesson 9 ~ Helping someone in need

Lesson 9 ~ Defining Spiritualism ~ Helping someong in need ~ Essay

By: Rev.  Trent Murman

 

Be good to someone in need.

For the past few months I had noticed a scraggly gentleman either walking along the road, but this time I took the time to stop and spark up a conversation with this man.  I found out he was a Viet Nam veteran who had somehow gotten lost in the system.  He was now homeless, unkempt and carried a hand written sign that said "need help ~ government did me wrong".  I took him in my car to the nearest fast food restrurant and I bought him a meal.  We went outside while he was eating and just sat and talked.  I will only refer to this man by James to keep everything strictly confidential.  James told me he really and truly does want to work or do something with his days.  He conveyed that he dislikes sitting around the shelters and soup kitchens.  He would rather be out earning an honest living.  This man was awarded the Purple Heart and many other distinguished ribbons and medals during his tour in the Armed Forces.  He was discharged from the service with a slight mental condition and therefore was "labeled" and could not get gainful employment in the private sector.  As he ate I noticed he would have his arms in a circle around his food, like someone was going to take it away from him.  I tried to help him relax and reassured him no one would bother him or his food.  James was very appreciative of the time we spent together.  We sat and talked about things that happened during his service time.  I could well relate to them myself being a Viet Nam veteran also.  There were times when I saw tears welling up in his eyes when he spoke of friends he had lost over there.  He would stop choke back the sentiment and go on with his thoughts.  James was never married.  James had no family to speak of.  James reminded me of a lost wondering sole.  We sat for nearly three hours, him talking and me listening.  James told me he had one experience some time ago when he went into a local church for Sunday service and was asked by one of the members of the congregation to please leave and come back after he got cleaned up and more presentable.  James said he got up without saying a word and walked out of the church, as he was walking out he started to cry and thought to himself…does God really care how I am dressed or what I look like…..James told me he never returned to that place of worship again.  As I was about to leave, James asked me if I would say a prayer with him.  I said absolutely, he then asked me if I knew the Hail Mary Prayer, I said I did and we spoke it together.  James told me he repeats that prayer over and over throughout the day because it comforts him.  James is a good man.  Mislabeled by our government and said he was very grateful for the time we spent together.  I did not push religion on him, but when he brought it up we spoke of in endearingly.  He asked nothing more of me than just to say hello when I saw him and knowing there was someone out there that cared made him and me feel very good.  I was so honored to have met him and have him spend some time out of his day.    

Go In Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment