Spirituality Course

This blog is about the various courses on Spirituality offered through the ULC Seminary. The students offer responses to their various lessons and essays upon completion of the courses.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Lesson 11 ~ Defining Spirituality ~ How We Know Things

Defining Spirituality

Lesson 11 ~ How We Know Things ~ Essay

By:  Rev. Trent Murman, OSM, OSF

 

Perhaps we are at the same time more than we give ourselves credit for, and less. Why do we choose such an empty worldview? I am not actually sure why one would choose such an empty world.  I has been proven in many ways we humans have the need for human touch and interaction.  Every one of us is most important not only to our immediate family structure, but to the Lord as we are all part of "the big picture"  on one is insignificant or worthless by any means.   Even if you may feel this is impossible at one point during  your journey, it will be most evident at another point, bringing your full understanding of why not to choose an empty world.  

Why do we believe that we are nothing and there is no meaning to life? This philosophical question is definitely a puzzler to me.  Some would believe we are nothing because we came from nothing and thus there is no meaning to life.  However, if one believes in worth and how certain parts of existence plays out in the long run, then they cannot believe that life has no meaning.  Maybe there is something to the old saying "you are a product of your environment".  If you are constantly reminded during your life cycle that you are worthless then you will begin to accept this as the norm.  I believe in God's eyes life that he created here and every place else, universe by universe, yes even the parallel universes out there does have a definitive meaning.  I ask you, should we question His motives.  Be careful what you undertake.

Why do we then make ourselves responsible for everything in life? I agree hole heartedly with the author of this lesson…."I choose to think of life as meaningful. And at the same time I make myself responsible only for my reactions to life. I have free will. I choose not to kill you and I choose not to do so because it is morally wrong. I choose, and that has made all the difference.".  I am not sure anyone could have said it better and with more conviction.

Go In Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment