Spirituality Course

This blog is about the various courses on Spirituality offered through the ULC Seminary. The students offer responses to their various lessons and essays upon completion of the courses.

Friday, July 20, 2012

Dr Spirituality lesson # 13 Death


Hi Amy,

This course would have us deny the reality of death and see death as an "illusion".  The premise, as I understand it, is that nothing but love exists and only love is real.  Furthermore, this course teaches that the concept of death and the concept of "evil" are illusions held by the collective "conscious" mindset.  It appears to me that the underlying principal is if we all embrace love that there will be no death and no suffering.

I believe that our physical bodies are a "vehicle" for us to learn "life lessons."  I believe we are much more than a body.  When we have learned the lesson we came here to learn we then shed the current "body/vehicle" as it is no longer needed.  It is the vehicle that becomes lifeless/dead.  The spirit "life force/God within" lives on.

In terms of "suffering" an argument could be made that pain, whether it be physical, emotional or spiritual may be inevitable, however, "suffering" is optional. In our lives we experience bumps and bruises on our various levels.  We feel glad, sad, mad and we experience perceived obstacles.  We see ourselves alone and separate.  It is our thinking that creates suffering.  An example of this would be an experience I had when I was 9 years old.  I was not afraid of snakes although I lived on a ranch in rattlesnake country. One day my Dad and I were out doing chores.  I was not worried about anything and walked by a bull snake that slithered behind me.  My Dad stopped me and lectured me about how that could have been a rattlesnake and I could be dead if it had been.  He was trying to teach me a lesson about "mindfulness", however, what happened for me was: 1. I disappointed my Dad. 2. I made my Dad feel afraid for me. 3. It was wrong for me to not pay attention. 4. Snakes are dangerous and to be avoided at all costs.  These thoughts have created suffering for me.  Not because I have been bitten by a snake, but because I learned to limit my exposure to snakes by not going outside during snake seasons, by being hyper-vigilant for fear I might encounter a snake and if I did it could kill me and this would hurt my Dad.

In getting back to the prayer exercise.  I disagree that it is "my duty/responsibility as God's minister to deny the reality of death." I think it is my duty to help others see that the demise of the physical body is not the "end" rather it is the liberation of the soul/spirit to move onto whatever is next in God's plan for us. Monnie


No comments:

Post a Comment